Ginger Lemongrass Chicken with Broccoli and Bok Choy (AIP / low FODMAP / SCD)
This recipe is part of a series of recipes I’ve created while treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), and a leaky gut. They are simple, easy, fast, and definitely not lacking in flavor! I hope everyone feels inspired by and benefits from these recipe ideas, but if you have SIBO they might be especially helpful for you! While there are specific dietary protocols one can follow when treating SIBO, everyone’s dietary needs and tolerance levels are unique. Being intuitive, continually monitoring for symptoms, and making dietary adjustments as needed are important elements of the healing process!
When I first tasted this very simple recipe I created, the amount of flavor really delighted me. Fresh herbs and spices have become a staple in my restricted SIBO diet; I’m all about getting as much variety any way I can with my limited list of ingredients! I’ve enjoyed experimenting with new flavors and using herbs that I might otherwise overlook at the grocery store (like lemongrass).
I think lemongrass and ginger pair well together, especially when sautéed in oil to really release their flavors, a step which I feel adds a lot to this recipe. Cooking chicken in this herb and spice infused oil helps it really soak up the flavors, and the combination of white and dark chicken meat offers a tad bit of variety to make this simple recipe more exciting.
Serve this as a meal by itself, or, if you’re feeding others who aren’t on restricted diets, serve with rice. I served it this way to some of my girlfriends, and they loved it!
The combination of white and dark chicken meat offers variety to this simple recipe, and the chicken really soaks up the flavors of lemongrass and ginger to delight your taste buds.
- 2 lbs chicken meat (1 lb chicken breast, 1 lb chicken thighs), chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemongrass, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 1 head bok choy
- salt, to taste
- Melt coconut oil in a large wok on medium-high heat.
- Add minced lemongrass and ginger, and cook for about one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken meat and cook until almost done.
- Add broccoli and cook until starting to soften.
- Add bok choy and cook until wilted.
- Season with salt to taste.